~

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."
Jane Austen

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Poush Sankranti, to me, is about memories of a biting cold night in a faraway town, the temperature dipping to 1.2 degree Celsius

Poush Sankranti is about Prosperity, Blessings, Contentment, Abundance, Prayers, Togetherness, and Enthusiasm.. Poush Sankranti is about farmers who celebrate their yield and dedicate it to Maa Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity.. Poush Sankranti, to me, is about memories of a biting cold night in a faraway town, the temperature dipping to 1.2 degree Celsius, I extracting coconut paste for the first time in my life sitting on a cold prayer room floor, learning to make "Puli"-s, and everybody participating in the joyous process, I enjoying thoroughly despite a few bitter worries.. Poush Sankranti to me is about Lohri the night before, stories I have heard about the custom, visuals I have seen in films, and my first-ever memories of experiencing Lohri..Poush Sankranti, to me, is about a number of customs that I got to learn through life.. It is about the memories of my Thamma's transparent white PaTisapTa-s.. It is about the memories of plate-full of PiThe-s made for us lovingly by our neighbors.. It is about the Laal-Aalu-r Puli and Maalpoya that my Maa makes, which she made even last year during our most testing time.. Poush Sankranti is about memories of paddy stems tied to almirah handles..
I love these customs and I want to learn to make PiThe-Puli-s.. I wish these traditions are nurtured and kept alive for generations to come..
Wishing All A Prosperous, Healthy, and Happy Lohri, Poush Sankranti, Poush Paarbon, Makar Sankranti, Bhogali Bihu, Pongal, and Uttarayan !

No comments:

Post a Comment